If something is right, it is correct and agrees with the facts.
That's absolutely right...
Clocks never told the right time...
If you do something in the right way or in the right place, you do it as or where it should be done or was planned to be done.
Walking, done in the right way, is a form of aerobic exercise...
They have computerized systems to ensure delivery of the right pizza to the right place...
If you say that someone is seen in all the right places or knows all the right people, you mean that they go to places which are socially acceptable or know people who are socially acceptable.
He was always to be seen in the right places...
Through his father, he had met all the right people.
If someone is right about something, they are correct in what they say or think about it.
Ron has been right about the result of every General Election but one...
Is that true? Was she right?...
If something such as a choice, action, or decision is the right one, it is the best or most suitable one.
She'd made the right choice in leaving New York...
The right decision was made, but probably for the wrong reasons...
If something is not right, there is something unsatisfactory about the situation or thing that you are talking about.
Ratatouille doesn't taste right with any other oil...
The name Sue Anne never seemed quite right to Molly...
If you think that someone was right to do something, you think that there were good moral reasons why they did it.
You were right to do what you did, under the circumstances...
The president was absolutely right in ordering the bombing raid.
Right is used to refer to activities or actions that are considered to be morally good and acceptable.
It's not right, leaving her like this...
Fox hunting is popular among some people in this country. It doesn't make it right though...
If you right something or if it rights itself, it returns to its normal or correct state, after being in an undesirable state.
They recognise the urgency of righting the economy...
Your eyesight rights itself very quickly.
If you right a wrong, you do something to make up for a mistake or something bad that you did in the past.
We've made progress in righting the wrongs of the past...
Having spent 25 years righting his own mistakes, he is anxious that children should not waste opportunities.
If you right something that has fallen or rolled over, or if it rights itself, it returns to its normal upright position.
He righted the yacht and continued the race...
The helicopter turned at an awful angle before righting itself.
The right side of a material is the side that is intended to be seen and that faces outwards when it is made into something.
If you say that things are going right, you mean that your life or a situation is developing as you intended or expected and you are pleased with it.
I can't think of anything in my life that's going right...
I was pleased with my performance on Saturday — everything went right.
If someone has behaved in a way which is morally or legally right, you can say that they are in the right. You usually use this expression when the person is involved in an argument or dispute.
She wasn't entirely in the right...
Legally, the local tax office is in the right.
If you put something right, you correct something that was wrong or that was causing problems.
We've discovered what's gone wrong and are going to put it right.
You can use Mr Right ,Miss Right, or Ms Right to talk about the kind of person that you imagine you will marry or spend the rest of your life with.
She confesses to having trouble finding Mr Right.
...bachelors searching for Ms Right.
1. an abstract idea of that which is due to a person or governmental body by law or tradition or nature;"they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights""Certain rights can never be granted to the government but must be kept in the hands of the people"- Eleanor Roosevelt"a right is not something that somebody gives you; it is something that nobody can take away"
2. (frequently plural) the interest possessed by law or custom in some intangible thing;"mineral rights""film rights"
3. location near or direction toward the right side; i.e. the side to the south when a person or object faces east;"he stood on the right"
4. a turn to the right;"take a right at the corner"
5. those who support political or social or economic conservatism; those who believe that things are better left unchanged
6. anything in accord with principles of justice;"he feels he is in the right""the rightfulness of his claim"
7. the hand that is on the right side of the body;"he writes with his right hand but pitches with his left""hit him with quick rights to the body"
8. the piece of ground in the outfield on the catcher's right
1. make reparations or amends for;"right a wrongs done to the victims of the Holocaust"
2. put in or restore to an upright position;"They righted the sailboat that had capsized"
3. regain an upright or proper position;"The capsized boat righted again"
4. make right or correct;"Correct the mistakes""rectify the calculation"
1. free from error; especially conforming to fact or truth;"the correct answer""the correct version""the right answer""took the right road""the right decision"
2. being or located on or directed toward the side of the body to the east when facing north;"my right hand""right center field""a right-hand turn""the right bank of a river is the bank on your right side when you are facing downstream"
3. socially right or correct;"it isn't right to leave the party without saying goodbye""correct behavior"
4. in conformance with justice or law or morality;"do the right thing and confess"
5. correct in opinion or judgment;"time proved him right"
6. appropriate for a condition or occasion;"everything in its proper place""the right man for the job""she is not suitable for the position"
7. of or belonging to the political or intellectual right
8. in or into a satisfactory condition;"things are right again now""put things right"
9. intended for the right hand;"a right-hand glove"
10. in accord with accepted standards of usage or procedure;"what's the right word for this?""the right way to open oysters"
11. having the axis perpendicular to the base;"a right angle"
12. of the side of cloth or clothing intended to face outward;"the right side of the cloth showed the pattern""be sure your shirt is right side out"
13. most suitable or right for a particular purpose;"a good time to plant tomatoes""the right time to act""the time is ripe for great sociological changes"
1. precisely, exactly;"stand right here!"
2. immediately;"she called right after dinner"
3. exactly;"he fell flop on his face"
4. toward or on the right; also used figuratively;"he looked right and left""the party has moved right"
5. in the right manner;"please do your job properly!""can't you carry me decent?"
6. an interjection expressing agreement
7. completely;"she felt right at home""he fell right into the trap"
8. (Southern regional intensive) very;"the baby is mighty cute""he's mighty tired""it is powerful humid""that boy is powerful big now""they have a right nice place"
9. in accordance with moral or social standards;"that serves him right""do right by him"
10. in a correct manner;"he guessed right"