1. a telephone connection;"she reported several anonymous calls""he placed a phone call to London""he heard the phone ringing but didn't want to take the call"
2. a loud utterance; often in protest or opposition;"the speaker was interrupted by loud cries from the rear of the audience"
3. a demand especially in the phrase "the call of duty"
4. the characteristic sound produced by a bird;"a bird will not learn its song unless it hears it at an early age"
5. a brief social visit;"senior professors' wives no longer make afternoon calls on newcomers"
6. a demand by a broker that a customer deposit enough to bring his margin up to the minimum requirement
7. a demand for a show of hands in a card game;"after two raises there was a call"
8. a request;"many calls for Christmas stories""not many calls for buggywhips"
9. an instruction that interrupts the program being executed;"Pascal performs calls by simply giving the name of the routine to be executed"
10. brief visit in an official or professional capacity;"the pastor's visits to his parishioners""a visit to a dentist""the salesman's call on a customer"
11. (sports) the decision made by an umpire or referee;"he was ejected for protesting the call"
12. the option to buy a given stock (or stock index or commodity future) at a given price before a given date
1. assign a specified, proper name to;"They named their son David""The new school was named after the famous Civil Rights leader"
2. get or try to get into communication (with someone) by telephone;"I tried to call you all night""Take two aspirin and call me in the morning"
3. ascribe a quality to or give a name of a common noun that reflects a quality;"He called me a bastard""She called her children lazy and ungrateful"
4. order, request, or command to come;"She was called into the director's office""Call the police!"
5. utter a sudden loud cry;"she cried with pain when the doctor inserted the needle""I yelled to her from the window but she couldn't hear me"
6. pay a brief visit;"The mayor likes to call on some of the prominent citizens"
7. call a meeting; invite or command to meet;"The Wannsee Conference was called to discuss the `Final Solution'""The new dean calls meetings every week"
8. order or request or give a command for;"The unions called a general strike for Sunday"
9. order, summon, or request for a specific duty or activity, work, role;"He was already called 4 times for jury duty""They called him to active military duty"
10. indicate a decision in regard to;"call balls and strikes behind the plate"
11. stop or postpone because of adverse conditions, such as bad weather;"call a football game"
12. read aloud to check for omissions or absentees;"Call roll"
13. send a message or attempt to reach someone by radio, phone, etc.; make a signal to in order to transmit a message;"Hawaii is calling!""A transmitter in Samoa was heard calling"
14. declare in the capacity of an umpire or referee;"call a runner out"
15. utter a characteristic note or cry;"bluejays called to one another"
16. utter in a loud voice or announce;"He called my name""The auctioneer called the bids"
17. make a prediction about; tell in advance;"Call the outcome of an election"
18. challenge (somebody) to make good on a statement; charge with or censure for an offense;"He deserves to be called on that"
19. consider or regard as being;"I would not call her beautiful"
20. demand payment of (a loan);"Call a loan"
21. give the calls (to the dancers) for a square dance
22. greet, as with a prescribed form, title, or name;"He always addresses me with `Sir'""Call me Mister""She calls him by first name"
23. make a stop in a harbour;"The ship will call in Honolulu tomorrow"
24. make a demand, as for a card or a suit or a show of hands;"He called his trump"
25. require the presentation of for redemption before maturation;"Call a bond"
26. lure by imitating the characteristic call of an animal;"Call ducks"
27. challenge the sincerity or truthfulness of;"call the speaker on a question of fact"
28. rouse somebody from sleep with a call;"I was called at 5 A.M. this morning"